Sunday, May 10, 2009

In the Footsteps of Marguerite Bourgeoys



Greetings from Troyes, France. I have had the deep joy to walk on the cobblestones of the City of Troyes in the footsteps of St. Marguerite Bourgeoys. I have visited the church where she was baptised in 1620 and gazed at the statue of the Visitation in that same church - Saint Jean du Marchè. I know in my heart that I am walking on some of the same pathwys in the churches that Marguerite walked and I pray for her spirit to travel with me and be the courage I need in the future. May her spirit be the cloak on my shoulders and the joy in my heart. As Marguerite journeyed in company with Mary and her Guardian Angel - so may I be accompanied;

So much of the city is a wonderful contrast of the old and the modern seeming to dwell together in harmony. Spring is fully in bloosom in France - flowers are everywhere - in window boxes and in the parks. Friday was a National Holiday - La Fete de la Libèration _ Victory Day. There was a prayer service in the Church of St. Urbain followed by a small parade of veterans and service personnel through the streets to a war monument. I came upon the end of the ceremony quite by accident - flowers adorned the monument.

As I journey here, I am learning more French - but I have long periods of quiet as I wander the city absorbing the sights and sounds. Yesterday a group of British tourists where passing me, I almost joined their group to hear English! I made the connections from the airport successfully - thank goodness for internet maps. Once I thought I was safely on the train bound for Troyes? I found out that I had not validated my ticket before I boarded the train. The conductor could not find my ticket on his hand held unit and looked at me - I smiled and explained that I had just purchased the ticket - realizing that I was a tourist, he calmly explained that I need to plac my ticket in a machine before I board. Thank God he did not remove me from the train. I have visited the train station in Troyes already to buy my tickets to Bayonne and St. Jean Pied de Port and have located the needed machines -- I am ready for the next train journey. This is a big learning curve for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment