
Hard to believe, but my stay in Troyes is coming to an end. I take the 6AM train to Paris to make connections to Bayonne and then to Saint Jean Pied-du-Port and the beginning of the Camino! As I look back on these past days I am deeply touched by the hospitality of my CND sisters as they welcomed me into their home and assisted me to navigate the city. Merci to Sr. Louise, Sr. Aline, and Sr. Therese.
Troyes is a city of beautiful churches and colorful timbered buildings. This ancient city has carefully preserved the government and beautifully made available for all to experience. I visited a special exhibit of Champenoise sculpture dating from the 14th to the 16th centuries - the Golden Age - featuring the Troyes School. The most spectcular site and a landmark I often used to find my way is the Cathedral of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. It stands as a beacon drawing me to the heart of the city. Near the Cathedral is the old Abbey of Saint Loup (17-18th centuries), now a museum for the Fine Arts featuring French artists from the 17th and 18th centuries. There is beautiful collections of paintings on the life of Mary that hung in the Church of Saint Nizier. In the Visitation painting, Joseph accompanied Mary to visit Elizabeth and Zachariah - a true family gathering! So my family and friends - I take you with me as I journey the road -- I carry you in my heart;
In all of the churches I have been touched by the statues depicting the "Education of Mary" - the statues depict Saint Ann teaching Mary. This was an image seen frequently by Marguerite Bourgeoys - so let us take inspiration and courage to be people that continue to bring the Word of life and inspiration to others - to the young and old alike! With this image deeply routed in me - I prepare to depart from Troyes and eagerly look for the teachers and lessons that the Camino holds for me. Au revoir Troyes -- Hola Spain!
Hola, Ona. It's May 15, at 9:30 a.m. here, so you are probably in the midst of today's hike. I've enjoyed reading of the French part of your pilgrimage; may this next phase be equally joy- and grace-filled. I'll be with you in prayer as you travel.
ReplyDelete