Greetings from Spain.
The rain in Spain falls not only on the plain, but in the mountains and in the valleys. My first days were very wet and muddy. I had a new companion on the journey over the hills -- black slugs. They were everywhere as I walked -- they remind me to walk slowly and take small steps. As I prepare for a new hill, I have an inner mantra "One Step - One Step". This slows my pace and I can make the hill with a steady pace. When the rain stops and the fog hangs low over the hills, it feels like I am walking in a cloud. On the first day, I joined other walkers from my refugio to walk the road route through Valcarlos instead of over the mountainous route where people met with some snow!
The flowers are fully blooming in Spain. Red poppies and yellow bushes cover the hillsides. Today the sky was bright blue and clear. The golden fields against the blue sky was breath taking. Walked through Pamplona the other day - our first city. The old section was alive with tourists and children dancing ancient regional dances -- the pictures will be fun to post later!
Local restaurants serve a "Pilgrim Menu" each night for about 10 Euro. With the price you get three courses and red wine. The dinner is served at about 7:00 most night. In the smaller villages a reservation is required and you must pay ahead of time. In larger places, reservations are not needed and you pay at the end of the meal. I have enjoyed lamb, a whole trout, beef stew, and grilled pork. I am craving more vegetables and fruit. Breakfast is a matter of planning. Some nights I can take the extra bread from the dinner and wrap it up for the mornings. Having some fruit in your pack is helpful for the start of the day. For lunch there is usually a bar open in a village and a "bocadillo" - sandwich on a roll can be purchased. Yesterday I had a tortilla (like a fritata - potatoes in a egg mixture). Yes, I think about food alot - having enough protein and water is necessary to keep me going. When my energy runs low - it is time to stop and have a snack.
I joined with a woman from Australia the first day and we have been together most days. We have a similar pace and are good companions. It is hard to say how long we will stay together. Each day is its own unit - I am learning that I need to stay focused on the present moment. If my mind starts to wander, I might miss the rock in front of me or a beautiful sky or a new bird. The languages that I hear all around include French, German, Dutch, Korean, English - from many places. I have not met any other Americans yet, but a good number of Canadians - both English and French speaking. Faces are becoming more familiar and when I reach a refugio each night, it is good to see the faces of those I know and then have the opportunity to meet new people. In my next blog I will reflect on "life in the refugio" and all the different types of accomodations there are!
So I close for now and promise my prayers as I move deeper into this journey. I am saving my 1 Euro coins so that I can have internet access as I travel! It is all about learning the system!
Peace from the Camino!
The rain in Spain falls not only on the plain, but in the mountains and in the valleys. My first days were very wet and muddy. I had a new companion on the journey over the hills -- black slugs. They were everywhere as I walked -- they remind me to walk slowly and take small steps. As I prepare for a new hill, I have an inner mantra "One Step - One Step". This slows my pace and I can make the hill with a steady pace. When the rain stops and the fog hangs low over the hills, it feels like I am walking in a cloud. On the first day, I joined other walkers from my refugio to walk the road route through Valcarlos instead of over the mountainous route where people met with some snow!
The flowers are fully blooming in Spain. Red poppies and yellow bushes cover the hillsides. Today the sky was bright blue and clear. The golden fields against the blue sky was breath taking. Walked through Pamplona the other day - our first city. The old section was alive with tourists and children dancing ancient regional dances -- the pictures will be fun to post later!
Local restaurants serve a "Pilgrim Menu" each night for about 10 Euro. With the price you get three courses and red wine. The dinner is served at about 7:00 most night. In the smaller villages a reservation is required and you must pay ahead of time. In larger places, reservations are not needed and you pay at the end of the meal. I have enjoyed lamb, a whole trout, beef stew, and grilled pork. I am craving more vegetables and fruit. Breakfast is a matter of planning. Some nights I can take the extra bread from the dinner and wrap it up for the mornings. Having some fruit in your pack is helpful for the start of the day. For lunch there is usually a bar open in a village and a "bocadillo" - sandwich on a roll can be purchased. Yesterday I had a tortilla (like a fritata - potatoes in a egg mixture). Yes, I think about food alot - having enough protein and water is necessary to keep me going. When my energy runs low - it is time to stop and have a snack.
I joined with a woman from Australia the first day and we have been together most days. We have a similar pace and are good companions. It is hard to say how long we will stay together. Each day is its own unit - I am learning that I need to stay focused on the present moment. If my mind starts to wander, I might miss the rock in front of me or a beautiful sky or a new bird. The languages that I hear all around include French, German, Dutch, Korean, English - from many places. I have not met any other Americans yet, but a good number of Canadians - both English and French speaking. Faces are becoming more familiar and when I reach a refugio each night, it is good to see the faces of those I know and then have the opportunity to meet new people. In my next blog I will reflect on "life in the refugio" and all the different types of accomodations there are!
So I close for now and promise my prayers as I move deeper into this journey. I am saving my 1 Euro coins so that I can have internet access as I travel! It is all about learning the system!
Peace from the Camino!
No comments:
Post a Comment