Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Meseta


Left the big city of Burgos the other day - could not quite leave in a hurry as it is a very spread out city. Stayed in a Alburgue near the Cathedral, so it took over an hour and a half to leave the city behind and make my way to the meseta.

A word about Burgos first: Arrived to the old section of the city in time for a hail storm. Took cover in an ancient arch near the Cathedral with all the tourists. My backpack in its blue rain cover looked a little odd, but most people smiled and wished me a "Buen Camino". The Cathedral is magnificent - a work of art and richly celebrating the golden time of religious art. More details at another time - still digesting the grandeur.

I have been traveling for the past few days along the high flat land - the meseta. This morning I walked for two hours with only the birds and the waving young wheat to keep me company. I love the deep peace of the early morning and looked back at about 7AM to see the sun rise over the distant hills. Today was cool, breezy, and mostly sunny. The breeze kept me moving along. I am growing to understand the Irish blessing of the "wind at your back" as it keeps me moving forward. Thankfully the heavy rains have passed for a while. The meseta would not be my favorite place for a thunderstorm to accompany me over the open kilometers. Poppies and yellow wild flower dance in the breeze as the larks and sparrows sing the arrival of the new day.

Lone trees and scatterd rock formations accent the horizon to bring contrast to the endless kilometers of rolling fields. Most fields are planted with grain, but today I passed many fields planted in peas. These fields are in the lower regions of the meseta near to towns. Farmers live in the towns and come out during the day to tend their crops. In Rioja, the vine dressers where busy pruning their vines and encouraging new growth. I heard that bad storms have damaged vines in Rioja and Navarra - the weather can be a friend, but can be a hard adversary to the farmer.

I continue to find blessings in the walking, even when my feet protest and say "enough for today" - the albergue is usually only a few kilometers away and rest awaits. I hold all in my prayers especially at the dawing of the new day. Peace to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment