I arrived in Santiago on Monday, June 15th by 11:30 in the morning. Leaving Arco do Pino at 6AM in the dark and walking through the Galician mist was a peaceful experience and a time of joy and rememberance. Once all the eager fast walkers passed me, I had a few hours of quiet to set my heart ready for the entrance into Santiago. The pull to reach the cathedral continued to grow as the 20 kilometers went by. At Mont de Gozo (Hill of Joy) I had my first site of the city. The weather was a positive factor - cool breezes and gentle sun as we approached the city. Once over the "city line" it was another 45minutes to the cathedral. As I rounded the cornor to the square in front of the cathedral, tears filled my eyes and my heart was leaping for joy! Many pilgrim companions were there in the plaza greeting the new arrivals.
I saw people that I had not seen in weeks, waiting in the plaza for the arrival of new pilgrims. The Camino Community is very large and embracing. A Japanese woman I had not seen in three weeks was looking to find me and would not leave for her bus until we had time to greet one another.
I spent one and a half days in Santiago - reconnecting to companions and sharing stories of the journey. It was good to have some "downtime" to savor the feelings and to begin to realize the new insights and graces. I attended the Pilgrim Mass on Tuesday at noon. The cathedral was filled with pilgrims and we were blessed with the swinging of the large incensor - a sacred moment of blessing. In the origin of the tradition, the incense was to clear the air from the "smell" of the pilgrims! I had a shower before I went to mass!
Over the coming days, I will have the time to rest and reflect on this incredible journey. In my dreams last night, it was clear that the "physical camino" has ended, but the deeper journey continues to move with in me. As I write, I am waiting for my plane to Cork, Ireland! More to come - thank you for sharing in this journey with me!
Peace,
Ona
I saw people that I had not seen in weeks, waiting in the plaza for the arrival of new pilgrims. The Camino Community is very large and embracing. A Japanese woman I had not seen in three weeks was looking to find me and would not leave for her bus until we had time to greet one another.
I spent one and a half days in Santiago - reconnecting to companions and sharing stories of the journey. It was good to have some "downtime" to savor the feelings and to begin to realize the new insights and graces. I attended the Pilgrim Mass on Tuesday at noon. The cathedral was filled with pilgrims and we were blessed with the swinging of the large incensor - a sacred moment of blessing. In the origin of the tradition, the incense was to clear the air from the "smell" of the pilgrims! I had a shower before I went to mass!
Over the coming days, I will have the time to rest and reflect on this incredible journey. In my dreams last night, it was clear that the "physical camino" has ended, but the deeper journey continues to move with in me. As I write, I am waiting for my plane to Cork, Ireland! More to come - thank you for sharing in this journey with me!
Peace,
Ona
Ona, I am happy for you. What an incredible journey. I am gratefu for your sharings along the way. Enjoy the land of my foremothers and forefathers. I just loved Ireland. Eileen ssj
ReplyDelete