Over the past few days I have felt the pull towards Santiago more strongly. There is an energy in my step that keeps me moving westward with a new sense of hope and longing. As we entered Galicia, there are sign posts every 500 meters announcing the remaining distance to Santiago. While Galicia is very rainy right now, I am eager to get up the mornings and begin the daily pilgrimage. I am trying to be present to the day and the destination for each segment. As I journey, it becomes clearer that the journey will only physically end in Santiago, and the deeper journey will continue to move within me.
The beauty of the land and the welcome of the people continue to amaze me as I travel. Companionship on the journey with fellow pilgrims is a precious gift. I am walking with a wonderful Dutch woman who helps me to enjoy the gift of each day. We plan out ¨tea stops¨and take time to rest along the way. This is good for my "energizer inner bunny¨ that just wants to keep going and going. Now I notice the flowers and the landscape more. The draw towards Santiago is truly a pull to greater solitude and contemplation of the graces all around.
My experience at La Cruz de Ferro was profound and gracefilled. While it was raining and the fog was all around, there was great joy in my heart and a great peace in my soul. My prayers were joined with millions of other pilgrims through the years as more stones and momentos are added to the growing pile at the base of the cross. I left the top of the cross with tears in my eyes and a deep desire to continue the journey to Santiago. Maybe I will find a Spanish rock to bring home, or maybe a new gift awaits me in these final days of pilgrimage. So much of this journey is about openness to the next moment. I will see what the next day will bring.
The rain in Galicia is constant these days. Walking in the clouds is a calming experience. There is mist all around and the valley below can be filled with sunshine. The birds are quiet in the mists, they await the opportunity to sing in the sunshine. The land is green and very alive. Hope fills the land. I close for now and promise to continue to carry you in my heart as I draw closer to Santiago!
Peace,
Ona
The beauty of the land and the welcome of the people continue to amaze me as I travel. Companionship on the journey with fellow pilgrims is a precious gift. I am walking with a wonderful Dutch woman who helps me to enjoy the gift of each day. We plan out ¨tea stops¨and take time to rest along the way. This is good for my "energizer inner bunny¨ that just wants to keep going and going. Now I notice the flowers and the landscape more. The draw towards Santiago is truly a pull to greater solitude and contemplation of the graces all around.
My experience at La Cruz de Ferro was profound and gracefilled. While it was raining and the fog was all around, there was great joy in my heart and a great peace in my soul. My prayers were joined with millions of other pilgrims through the years as more stones and momentos are added to the growing pile at the base of the cross. I left the top of the cross with tears in my eyes and a deep desire to continue the journey to Santiago. Maybe I will find a Spanish rock to bring home, or maybe a new gift awaits me in these final days of pilgrimage. So much of this journey is about openness to the next moment. I will see what the next day will bring.
The rain in Galicia is constant these days. Walking in the clouds is a calming experience. There is mist all around and the valley below can be filled with sunshine. The birds are quiet in the mists, they await the opportunity to sing in the sunshine. The land is green and very alive. Hope fills the land. I close for now and promise to continue to carry you in my heart as I draw closer to Santiago!
Peace,
Ona
I continue to walk with you, in prayer and through my neighborhood. I have a Gloucester rock on the windowsill - reminding me of all of the graces that grounded that retreat and that continue to ground me now!
ReplyDeleteMay grace draw you on, and follow you!