Thursday, June 4, 2009

Reading the Signs




There are many signs to be watching for all the time. The yellow arrows on the street to direct you to the Camino, especially in the larger cities. Leaving Leon in the early morning was a challenge as I was not seeing the scallop shells in the sidewalk. Luckily another pair of walkers was more alert and found the path out of the city. Yesterday, I lost the markers in one village and asked a woman near the church for the way to the Camino. She lead me to the location and sent me on my way. The yellow arrows and scallop shells are the easy signs to watch for. Watching and listening to the body is the harder task.

Last Sunday, I heard my left foot say in a constant way through a persistant ache that I needed to take a break. I reached Sahagun (about 10 kl) and knew that I had to stop and sit out a portion of the journey. I stayed in Sahagun that night and found a taxi to Mansilla de las Mulas the next morning. I wanted to stay with a couple of young women with whom I had become friendly - we shared evening meals and formed a nice relationship. I rejoined them after my day and a half of rest. I was ready to walk then. I am now trying to walk in a lighter manner - slowing my pace and taking a few more breaks.

It was very hard to sit in the taxi and watch the pilgrims walk by, but I knew that to continue to walk the Camino called for the break and the new way to walk. The body speaks volumes and listening is very heard. The past few days have been good reminders that the body is many parts and I am stronger when they are all working together in peace.

My young friends have also listened a call to move along the Camino in a faster pace, so we have parted company. They are called to a different journey. This is part of the Camino reality. I have had encounters with people today that I had not seen in days and weeks. Our paths continue to cross. These new encounters and reunions bring moments of joy and time to share what has happened along the way. Wisdom is learned in hearing the struggles and sacrifices that others are making to follow "their" Camino. I learn to hear and feel what "my" Camino journey is as I walk and listen to the many signs along the way.

Tomorrow, the Camino moves toward the mountains and the highest points. I will be at La Cruz de Ferro in the coming days. I have carried a rock from Gloucester to place in the pile of rocks at the foot of the cross. This is a symbolic act for me, I bring many graces of this past year to this place of prayer and ask for the grace for the future. I carry you all in my heart and will place your intentions at the foot of the cross along with my heart-shaped rock. I feel the strength of prayer of so many as I journey. You are the wind at my back that moves me and cools me in the hot sun. May you look at the many signs of life around you and join me in giving thanks!

Peace,
Ona

1 comment:

  1. You are being a wise woman. This is not a race but an experience that you and Goad are designing as you move along. You are listening and being gentle. Prayers from Vancouver also a beautiful country.
    Peace
    Pat

    ReplyDelete